Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Prodigal Sister


It's been a long time. Fifteen years. It's been a long time since Codie and I have had a visit together, alone, without a holiday. She hasn't been to Ruston since my wedding in 2003. Codie, our adamantly labeled "middle child", free spirit, river chic set up, scheduled and organized the visit because she wanted to see her youngest nieces, Harper and Baylor Kate. Because her vision is impaired she can't drive long distances so she took the train to Longview and Mom drove her over. The 41/2 hour car ride from San Marcos to Longview takes 10 hours by train! She really wanted some Louisiana lovin'! Did I say it's been a long time?

A long time ago I heard a Michael W. Smith song (I think it was by him) about the prodigal son returning to his family. "He ran to me, held my head to his chest, and said my son's come home again!" Seriously, the lyrics choke up the ole' esophagus and ignite the water works. Well, that is how I felt! It was only for four days but it was the best four days I've had with her in years! "My sister is back!" I wanted to scream. I shared by excitement with a friend that gave me this witty response, "So who has changed more, you or her?" Both.

Two summers ago, after a study of David, I began praying for a "this far" transformation for my entire family. That means that God will change the lives and hearts of my family so much that ONLY HE can receive the credit and praise. God is so good and he had done just that. My family has changed and I have changed and there is only thing to say about it, "Amen!"

In church today we sang these lyrics, "From the inside out, Lord my soul cries out!" At first I tried to fight away the tears. Choke them back like I do on so many Sunday's. But today I accepted the tears as a blessing and sign that the Holy Spirit is moving within me. I sang with a smile today, hands lifted in praise, instead of tears. God is good and He does change us from the inside out. I may not always understand His timing. Let's face it, I always want things done yesterday, and God doesn't work that way. Some blessings are years in the making. Did I say it's been a long time?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts too! Please leave a comment or contact me via e-mail.