Thursday, April 28, 2011

Steel Magnolia

I felt it this morning. That wake up and want to write thing, but I've been waiting to meet with the new doctor so I can share her progress with you. I'm still waiting and I can't hold back the urge my fingers have to meet with these keys any longer, so I'm here.

We are in transition. Dr. Q left sometime in the wee hours of morning and I am delighted that I was snoozing peacefully while he bid Shreveport farewell. Yesterday afternoon he quietly knocked on the door of our sleeping room and waved me to come out into the hall with a calm half smile. Dr. Q is steady and honest, two of my absolute favorite qualities in a doctor. He answered my questions and assured me that Harper will continue to be in good hands, just not his.

Did I say we are still waiting on our new doctor? Does he know that it is 10:08am?? So as we wait for these new hands, hands belonging to a man I've never laid eyes on, hands that are caring for someone else somewhere else, I am encouraged that Harper is always in the hands of our loving, ultimate physician. His hands are also steady and honest, but they are also always on our shift, by our bed, answering our call.

Yesterday we had a soothing steady stream of visitors. Our pastor brought us lunch and the conversation turned to the movie "Country Strong." He brought up the point that in the movie the husband, Tim McGraw, only loves the wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, when she is strong. Throughout the entire movie he only shows his love when she is able to hold her head up and sing, smile. If she falters or shows weakness, boom..he is gone, can't handle it. When Skin was saying all of this all I could think was, "Whew, I'm so glad God isn't that way, so glad that when we are the weakest that is when His strength is revealed the most." I could barely hold my head up the other day. I know for certain that I am able to face the day today because of God's strength and not my own. He has never left me. Unconditional. Unwavering. Steady and Honest.

Last night I was encouraged by words spoken from a friend. She said, through tears, "You hear about stuff like this happening, but when it happens to someone you know it is different. Knowing Harper, and the way she is, I know that of all people she can handle this. She is strong enough to fight this." I thought silently about my feisty girl. I thought about her strong will, her fierce determination, her mighty love. I thought about the way I shift the description of bossy into born leader. I smiled at the pink boxing gloves awaiting her in our room, a gift from a friend, a friend that knows her. Smiling I said, "Yeah, but when my kid beats up your kid in middle school, think back to this." Again, laughter through tears.

One of my favorite quotes from a favorite movie: "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

Steel Magnolias. So many times this week scenes from that movie have come to me. Some have made me laugh and others force me to fight back tears. When my friend said, "You can hit me, I'll be Weezah!" the laughter escaped from somewhere deep inside. Another friend said, "Take a whack a Weezah," and coke went into my nose. Somehow there are moments of laughter hidden within this nightmare. Steel Magnolia. Beautiful strength. Harper Leigh Cauley.

5 comments:

  1. You have such eloquent writing. I love it. You better bet that sweet Harper is a fighter. The new pictures on your blog mad me smile from ear to ear. Beautiful!!
    Steel Magnolias is one of my all time favorite movies. I caught the last 20 minutes of it on TV less than a month ago. Tears and laughter are a great combo. You can't help it!! LG has asked to pray for Harper all week. And we have. Hugs and love to you, Mandy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good post! You got this, girl! It looks like we are on the other side of this pneumonia. Stay strong! We are all going through this with you. ALL MY LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    I am your neighbor behind Sarah Walsworth and I just got your blog from her. I'm so glad to hear that Harper is progressing. I've seen you both on my walks around the block and I will be praying daily for her recovery. I hope to see her out playing soon as I walk by.
    Mary Nell Head

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still thinking about you and praying. It's great to hear recovery in YOUR voice. Please know that we continue to hold you up. Lala

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny the way prayer works. I haven't seen you since the last time you were on the volleyball court in high school and yet, through prayer and reading your thoughts on here, it's as if I'm walking through this journey with you. I'm sure anyone reading these feels the same way.

    The old hymn that we always used to sing in church, "I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God..." keeps coming to my mind as I'm reminded that we are all on this journey of life together. We are not meant to face situations - good or bad - on our own. We are designed for relationships and I'm so thankful that God has given you the words and ability to share your thoughts so that we can all share in your struggles, your victories, and love you from our computer screens.

    I was sitting in my small group last night and began to share about Harper when I noticed others in the circle shaking their heads - they already knew her story. It's true that we may never know who gets on their knees for us, but I want you to know that we did last night. We got on our knees before our heavenly Father and asked for healing, strength, and that you guys get to go home soon.

    I pray that today is a better day than yesterday. I'm so thankful for laughter! I'm praying for the new doctor that will be working with Harper. I thank God for Dr. Q and his wisdom and patience. God has you all in His hands and there is absolutely no better place to be. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts too! Please leave a comment or contact me via e-mail.